- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh peeled and grated ginger
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 pinches fresh grated nutmeg
- 6 pieces star anise
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 cups almond, rice, coconut or cow’s milk
- assam or darjeeling tea- 6 teaspoons of loose tea, or 6 tea bags
- brown or coconut sugar, or honey as desired
optional for serving: cinnamon stick and star anise
Place water, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, star anise, and black peppercorns in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat.
When the liquid comes to a boil, add milk. Let everything return to a boil. Then add tea and simmer for 1 minute.
Pour your chai through a strainer into a clean bowl or a metal pitcher like the photo below. Then pour the chai back into a clean pot/bowl.
For COFFEE Lovers: You can add-on a shot of espresso and make it a “dirty” Chai, great Drink as well!